Managing Multiple Gmail Accounts from a Single Gmail Account

Album Cover: No Code

"Are you woman enough to be my man?"
Pearl Jam / Hail Hail

Posted on February 12, 2008 7:54 PM in Computers

For a while now I've been wanting to manage multiple Gmail accounts from a single Gmail account, simply because I'm an "always logged in" type of Gmail user. My various Firefox extensions (Google Reader Notifier, Gmail Notifier, etc.) automatically log me in to my main Google account whenever I fire up my browser, so having to log out and back in several times isn't necessarily my idea of fun (or efficiency).

Tonight I finally decided to look into how I could manage my multiple Gmail accounts from my main one, therefore eliminating the need to log in and out all the time, and making managing my email much more convenient. To accomplish this task, I needed to go to my secondary Gmail accounts and enable POP support for each of them.

Next, in my main Gmail account, I went to the "Accounts" tab in the "Settings" area and followed the instructions on how to set up Mail Fetcher.

After following those relatively straightforward steps a couple times, I took things a step further and set up labels specifically for the new mail accounts I had added. Now, when I get email at my Browsersphere account, for example, not only does it show up in my main Gmail account, but it also skips the inbox and shows up as unread in a label I created called "Browsersphere."

If you've got more than one Gmail account and you're tired of jumping back and forth between (or among) the various accounts, I'd highly recommend doing something similar for your accounts.

Comments

Pill on February 13, 2008 at 5:29 AM:

have a look at this... http://gmailnotifier.net

Bernie Zimmermann on February 13, 2008 at 6:46 AM:

Thanks for the link, Pill. That looks like a good alternative to the Gmail Notifier for those who like to spice up their apps a lot.

For me, personally, the other Gmail Notifier or the combination of that and having Google Talk open does the trick.

arunkumar on November 08, 2008 at 9:44 PM:

my Google account has been disabled.i've tried all the ways but no use.can you help me to restore my account.when i try to login 'sorry your account has been disabled' message appears.

james on November 06, 2009 at 4:36 PM:

the only issue with this is that the mail for these "added" accounts is actually only checked about every hour, you have to manually go into the settings - accounts tab to "check mail" its a bit awkward if you need to check mail regularly.

duesqnai on May 15, 2017 at 5:23 AM: