Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Upgrade

Album Cover: The Open Door EP

"Pretend every slot machine is a robot amputee waving hello."
Death Cab For Cutie / Little Bribes

Posted on April 26, 2008 12:45 PM in Computers
Warning: This blog entry was written two or more years ago. Therefore, it may contain broken links, out-dated or misleading content, or information that is just plain wrong. Please read on with caution.

After firing up C3PO this morning, I noticed that a distribution update was available for Ubuntu. I had the option of upgrading from 7.10, which I originally installed, to 8.04 LTS (not 8.4 LTS). I've been reading a lot of good things about Hardy Heron, so deciding whether or not to upgrade was pretty much a no-brainer.

The upgrade process went very well. It was straightforward, kept me informed of the overall progress, and I especially liked how it not only warned me when important configuration files were about to be replaced, but also let me look at diffs between my installed copy and the one by which it would be replaced. I thought that was really impressive, if perhaps a little too technical for the layman, if only for the fact that it let me note some of the differences down on a piece of paper so I could go back in and make the appropriate changes later on (since in almost every case I opted for the latest and greatest version of the file).

The total upgrade process only took about 45 minutes to an hour, and once it was finished I restarted C3PO. It was very obvious as soon as the login screen showed up that I was working with a new version of Ubuntu, although I can't say I'm as fond of the new login screen as I was of the old one (simply because the new one seems a little too bright). Once I logged in, I was pleased to see that the majority of the important services running on the box (PHP, Apache, etc.) were intact and working as desired.

The only problem I ran into involved MySQL. For months before making this upgrade, I had been having problems updating the database server to the latest package due to some obscure file or library problem. I don't know if that had anything to do with it, but for some reason, during the upgrade to 8.04 LTS, both the MySQL server and client packages were removed. Fortunately, remedying the problem was as simple as running sudo apt-get mysql-client-5.0 and sudo apt-get mysql-server-5.0 and then updating the my.cnf file, since it was one of the aforementioned files on which I jotted some notes down on paper. Once I did that, my database was up-and-running again, all the latest data and tables were in place and working as expected. So that was good news.

Finally, one of the best things about the upgrade is that I'm now running Firefox 3 Beta 5 by default, rather than Firefox 2. It's nice being able to take advantage of some of the new features when I'm browsing on my Linux box.

I'm just getting my feet wet with this new release of Ubuntu, but so far so good, and I'll likely post more on the subject after I've had some more time to check out some of the newer features.

Comments

No one has added any comments.

Post Comments

If you feel like commenting on the above item, use the form below. Your email address will be used for personal contact reasons only, and will not be shown on this website.

Name:

Email Address:

Website:

Comments:

Check this box if you hate spam.