The First Time I Saw Windows XP

Album Cover: Life in 1472

"Even with a patch on my eye, I'm dreamy."
Slick Rick / Fresh

Posted on August 01, 2008 10:58 PM in Computers

As my computer was booting up tonight and the Windows XP flashed on my screen, it reminded me of the very first time I saw a computer running the operating system. It was sometime in the early half of 2002, and I was sitting near the back of a semi-packed auditorium at Pacific Lutheran University. Before graduating, and as part of our senior capstone program, all of the Computer Science majors had to present their senior capstone projects to the rest of the department.

Prior to that day, I had heard quite a bit about the new operating system from Microsoft. However, I was pretty skeptical about it, given that I was so pleased with Windows 2000 at the time. I was a big fan of how quickly computers ran after a fresh install of 2000, and I figured that XP, being the newer of the two, was likely more bloated and required more computer resources in order to run effectively.

As one of the Computer Science students attached his computer to the projector and I saw XP booting up, I was immediately struck by how colorful the OS was. Windows 2000 kind of had a monochrome feel to it in comparison, thanks to the bluish hues of a majority of the icons and the default desktop theme, etc. The greens, reds and blacks of XP made it stand out, and its icons were much more advanced and detailed. That day, I became intrigued by XP, and it wasn't long after that I first installed XP on one of my own computers. Not long after, the operating system became more mainstream, and I haven't really looked back since.

Well, that's not true. I've looked back toward XP whenever I've been confronted with its successor, Windows Vista. ;)

Rami Kayyali on August 02, 2008 at 5:28 AM:

I remember the first I saw XP I thought I mistakenly walked into Lego Land. I reverted it back to classic look, played with it for a year, and went back to Windows 2000 SP4, which, at that time, ran like a rock.

Now, XP SP3 is the one I recommend for my Windows-using friends. Vista feels too invasive.

Bernie Zimmermann on August 02, 2008 at 7:30 AM:

Lego Land! I like that. :) Yeah, I was kind of in the same boat. I think I used the classic look for quite some time, too. I'm still not a huge fan of the default theme of XP. I almost always use the Royale theme now, but the olive green theme has always been my next favorite.

Thanks for dropping by, Rami.

Daniel on August 02, 2008 at 11:55 PM:

The first time i saw Windows XP i really hated, a operating system with high requeriments just like vista now with the defragmentation all the time without the liberty of modify the code, so i prefer to change my Windows XP for Red Hat Linux with kernel version 2.4.

Sorry about my english.

billy on August 10, 2008 at 7:14 AM:

xp is cool but i dualboot with linux and vista.

lccfxgvd on May 15, 2017 at 5:22 AM: