Album Cover: Black Holes and Revelations

"Come ride with me through the veins of history. I'll show you a god who falls asleep on the job."
Muse / Knights of Cydonia

Posted on March 11, 2009 7:43 PM in Sports

In an interview at MTV's site, Kanye West mentioned the basketball game called "21," and I suddenly realized there was a part of my past that had completely disappeared from my memory. I remembered that I had played 21 before, but had absolutely no recollection of the rules of the game.

The Wikipedia article, which just so happens to be one of the most poorly written Wikipedia articles I've ever stumbled upon, managed to bring back a few memories, but it also made it very clear that 21 is one of those amorphous games that never really has the same rules from one playground to another. I do remember that it was a great game for situations when my friends and I amounted to no more than three people and we wanted to play something a little more demanding than H-O-R-S-E (or is it G-E-I-C-O now?).

I also remember that we played countless games on the neighborhood and schoolyard courts and that it was one of my favorite things to do, short of playing an actual 3-on-3 (or better) basketball game. I'm glad Kanye West, of all people, reminded me of its existence.

Ugly Face on March 12, 2009 at 11:19 AM:

I recollect playing that madness called '21' on the courts with you, Jason, Travis, and Chong. Somehow, it always seemed to rain down on us mid-way through our game; afterwhich, we usually wrapped up the evening by watching the old M's lose on TV at Jason's house. Hmm... the good old days.

Bernie Zimmermann on March 12, 2009 at 6:02 PM:

Yeah, and I believe we played right here at Cherokee Park, which apparently is now named Rainierwood Park. :)

At least nothing's changed with the Mariners! ;)

Mike on March 12, 2009 at 6:43 PM:

Wow, I completely forgot about 21. I played my fair share of that back in the day, but we mostly played the Alley-oop version (or Tips as it's called on Wikipedia). Nothing quite like getting to 19 or 20 points and getting sent all the way back to 13.

plguqavy on July 18, 2015 at 4:56 PM: