Losing Unread Items in Google Reader Again

Album Cover: Narrow Stairs

"As the flashbulbs burst, she holds a smile like someone would hold a crying child."
Death Cab For Cutie / Cath...

Posted on April 19, 2009 10:37 AM in Computers

Unfortunately for me, if you look up Google Reader losing unread items on Google, the first couple of links take you to my site. Back at that time, I worried that unread items were being lost due to some kind of bug, but later found out that it was all by design.

Unfortunately for me again, it appears that I've lost perhaps hundreds of unread items over the past few days, but this time around it isn't because they're over a month old. In fact, as I've been catching up on feeds this weekend, I've watched the unread counts in several feeds go down dramatically. Upon checking those specific feeds, it looks like there is one consistent clue. All of the unread feed items now start at April 10th, leading me to believe that all unread items from before that date have been lost. If I'm not mistaken, it's April 19th today, so that means I only have about nine days of unread feed items left in Google Reader.

Unfortunately for me yet again, when I search Twitter and Google for others' reports of similar issues, I find nothing. That leads me to think it's perhaps an isolated incident, or maybe that I'm one of only a handful of people who actually leave unread feed items sitting around for a month. Or maybe I'm the only one who's anal enough to realize it. Nevertheless, I've posted something in the Google Reader Help group in the hopes that the Google Reader team will at least look into the issue and fix the bug if there is one.

As always, I'll post a follow-up if I learn or hear anything new.

Comments

such things encountered in my Google reader on May 19, 2009 at 7:06 AM:

so, i searched the net and found your blog.
you are not alone. i met up with such problems today.

sebg on May 27, 2009 at 1:20 AM:

same "problem" here, the 1 month delay is way too short for me, Google Reader should let the user choose the "expiration" method for unread/new items

Jasmine on December 13, 2009 at 7:43 PM:

I just noticed this problem (the 1 month problem, not the 10 days problem) too. Not cool, google. There should definitely be a setting for this. I'm going to have to look into a new feed reader.

Anonymous on February 21, 2010 at 10:16 PM:

Not sure if you're still looking, but apparently Reader also sets items older than your 10,000th most recently read item as read automatically:

Might be the problem you're encountering.

Bernie Zimmermann on February 22, 2010 at 9:15 AM:

Thanks, Anonymous. If you look closely at that page you linked to, you'll see that the person who started the thread goes by the alias "bernzilla." ;)

milsxbfk on May 15, 2017 at 5:23 AM: