From Dual-boot Back to Single-boot

Album Cover: Sea Change

"How could this love, ever changing, never change the way I feel?"
Beck / Lonesome Tears

Posted on May 17, 2012 8:54 PM in Computers

When I bought Vader, my ultimate plan was to dual-boot Linux Mint along with Windows 7. Little did I know that the HP Envy 15 was a "tricky laptop to use with Linux."

After shrinking my hard drive and setting up a dual boot with Linux Mint 12, I learned the hard way that "tricky" was the nice way of putting it. The proprietary drivers for the video card didn't work, the experimental one I tried downloading resulted in Linux Mint no longer starting up, and apparently the Beats Audio hardware features are still an enigma to the guys working on Mint's (and other distributions') audio drivers.

It wasn't long before I realized that installing VMware Player on Windows 7 itself and adding a Linux Mint virtual machine was the better way to go, but by that point I already had a real installation of the OS on my hard drive. To make matters worse, I also had GRUB set up as the default bootloader, so tracing my steps backward to something closer to the factory settings seemed like it was going to be a hassle.

Fortunately, that wasn't the case. Reverting from GRUB back to the default MBR was as easy as firing up the Linux Mint live CD and following Robert Penz's straightforward instructions. Once I had done that, I deleted the Linux Mint partitions from my hard drive and used the "Expand" option on the partition dedicated to Windows 7, and I was back where I started, with a laptop that immediately booted into Windows 7 and had no partitions being wasted on a bad Linux Mint install.

Believe it or not, Linux Mint actually behaves a lot better in a virtual machine in VMware Player than it did running natively on the machine. I'm now using virtual machines on Vader and Skywalker to make use of Linux Mint, and it has been nothing but smooth sailing so far. I don't think I'll go back to dual-booting anytime soon, if ever, and I certainly won't even think about it until my hardware is no longer associated with that "tricky" rating.

Comments

tucvvfyq on May 15, 2017 at 5:23 AM:
Neeraj on February 22, 2018 at 1:17 AM:

Great article. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in this blog. I really liked this post. Thanks for share this post.

kitsonlinetraining on September 21, 2018 at 5:07 AM:

Fortunately, that wasn't the case.http://www.kitsonlinetrainings.com/datastage-online-training.html Reverting from GRUB backhttp://www.kitsonlinetrainings.com/dell-boomi-online-training.htmlhttp://www.kitsonlinetrainings.com/etl-testing-online-training.html to the default MBR was as easy as firinghttp://www.kitsonlinetrainings.com/oracle-golden-gate-online-training.html up the Linux Mint live CD and following Robert Penz's straightforward instructions. Once I had done that, I deleted the Linux Mint partitions from my hard drive and used the "Expand" option on the partition dedicated to Windows 7, and I was back where I started, with a laptop that immediately booted into Windows 7 and had no http://www.kitsonlinetrainings.com/data-science-online-training.html partitions being wasted on a bad Linux Mint install.

QuickBooks Payroll Support Number on May 19, 2019 at 9:56 PM:

QuickBooks has made payroll management quite definitely easier for accounting professionals. There are so many individuals who are giving positive feedback if they process payroll either QB desktop and online options.

QuickBooks Customer Support Number on May 30, 2019 at 11:37 PM:

QuickBooks payroll Services provide methods to your entire QuickBooks problem and in addition assists in identifying the errors with QuickBooks data files and diagnose them thoroughly before resolving these issues.

QuickBooks Customer Support Number on May 31, 2019 at 12:30 AM:

The real difference that individuals make amongst our competitors is the fact that our services are available 24*7. But we now have made sure which our services is there not merely for namesake. We actually deliver upper end, quality tech support team services to any or all our customers.

QuickBooks Enterprise Support Phone Number on May 31, 2019 at 3:35 AM:

You are able to choose for any QuickBooks versions looking on the desires. QuickBooks are often generally split into 2 categories: QuickBooks online version and QuickBooks Desktop version.

QuickBooks Payroll Support Number on June 11, 2019 at 4:41 AM:

Any user can try to find available these days payroll update when you head to “employee” menu, selecting “get payroll updates” after which option “update”. Within the window “get payroll updates” you can examine whether you're making use of the latest updates or perhaps not. For every information or update, you can contact QuickBooks Payroll Support Phone Number.

QuickBooks Payroll Support Phone Number on June 13, 2019 at 12:40 AM:

A QuickBooks payroll service is a website you are able to activate by firmly taking the subscription make it easy for the top features of Payroll in your QuickBooks desktop software.

QuickBooks Payroll Support Number on June 18, 2019 at 11:13 PM:

If that's so, Quickbooks online payroll support number provides 24/7 make it possible to our customer. Only you need to do is make an individual call at our toll-free QuickBooks Payroll tech support number .

QuickBooks 2019 Support Phone Number on June 23, 2019 at 11:14 PM:

QuickBooks 2019 Support Phone Number are terribly dedicated and might solve your entire issues without the fuss. In the event that you call, you are greeted by our client service representative when taking all of your concern he/she will transfer your preference into the involved department. The best part is the fact that not just you’ll prepare you to ultimately resolve your problems nevertheless you are often acquiesced by our technicians and he/she could well keep updating you concerning your problems. it's likely you have a whole information what the problem your package is facing.

QuickBooks 24/7 Payroll Support Phone Number USA on June 23, 2019 at 11:25 PM:

Payroll management is really a significant part these days. Every organization has its own employees. Employers need to manage their pay. The yearly medical benefit is important. The employer needs to allocate. But, carrying this out manually will need the full time. Aim for QuickBooks 24/7 Payroll Support Phone Number USA
. This can be a fantastic software. You can actually manage your money here. This is certainly immediately after your accounts software. You are able to manage staffs with ease.

QuickBook Support on June 25, 2019 at 11:42 PM:

Get outstanding possibilities for QuickBooks towards you right away! Without having any doubts, QuickBooks has revolutionized the process of doing accounting that's the core strength for small as well as large-sized businesses.

paint contractor Orlando on June 26, 2019 at 3:54 AM:

Your work is very good and I appreciate you and hopping for some more informative posts. Thank you for sharing great information to us.

QuickBook Support on June 29, 2019 at 2:56 AM:

Our company is also accessible to assist you at our phone number for QuickBook Support . Contact us any time and acquire best answers to all the QuickBooks Payroll conditions that you could run into with.

QuickBook Support on June 29, 2019 at 2:56 AM:

QuickBooks Support Phone Number on July 11, 2019 at 2:33 AM:

But sometimes many customers are not able to obtain perfect solution on call If any customer struggles to get a fantastic solution on call or not able to fix Quickbooks troubles by self then our professionals help customers by accessing their laptop or PC remotely with complete satisfaction.

Comments: